21 July 2011

A new stencil quilt -- and a new class!


I'm teaching a Stencil Quilts class at Berkeley's New Pieces in September. Enrollment opened today, and it's filling up surprisingly quickly. This is the sample I made for the class -- it's hanging in the store now!

The class is on two Sundays, September 18 and 25, 12-2pm. I'd love to see you there!

The fabric is an Indian wood-block cotton front with  a reverse-applique Joel Dewberry print. There's a splotch in the woodblock repeat -- you can see it twice about a foot in from the left. I considered positioning the stencil to hide the splotch for a moment. Then I completely changed my mind and decided to feature it.


I'll teach my technique using whole-cloth fabrics. I love the patchwork in my other stencil quilts, but I want to focus on the stencil technique in class.

I'll be teaching the technique I've developed for all my stencil quilts.

Green Stag

Orange Lizzard



I used four scraps from the applique to piece the strip in the back.


Can you see the seams? No, I didn't think so ;)




I quilted the front with a ginkgo leaf design. It's loose and blends easily into the woodblock print. But I love to stare at it. 









14 comments:

  1. Oh how I was it was in CA instead of Chicago. I would sign up for your class as quickly as I could type!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously only $38 (just had to clock over to read the class description)!? That's a deal and a half. Any plans to visit Chicago - it's quite nice here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so want to be there! If I was within a few hours I would be in a heart beat. You should come teach a class in Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Dan! Love the new ginkgo quilt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was in that area, because I would totally take this class! Want to come out to Philly to teach it? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with everyone else...wish I were close enough to take the class! Your technique intrigues me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, nice work. I'd sign up for your class if I was SF. Not surprising at all that it is filling up. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. boy, I sure wish I could get to CA and take your class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I could be there too! This is such an effective technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... now I really wish I lived closer to the other side of the US! I'd love to take your class, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the class! I got a spot today! I cannot wait!
    Susi
    Just Crafty Enough

    ReplyDelete
  12. Download the best tailor in Bangkok App at playstore  Tailor

    Download the best tailor in Bangkok App at playstore  Custom Tailor

    ReplyDelete