Well, I'm not going to win any prizes for precision on this project, but I've finished sewing up my drunkard's path units from the the Kaufman Kona charm pack.
Upon measuring, I found some of the pieces to be short along the square (no seam) sides. This happened because the fabric slipped or stretched during cutting. Accuquilt recommends you alight the long grain of the fabric with the die because that is the least stretchy. I wasn't careful about figuring out the grain directions of the solid charm squares -- what a pain, right? --but it seems I should have. Anyway, there is going to be a fair amount of "easing" to line up the units.
I tried several layout options, and wasn't pleased with any symmetrical tile patterns. The colors don't have a lot of umph, and it just came off a bit sleepy. I ended up separating the units into colored centers and neutral centers, then each of those into 8 piles by hue. Finally, I paired hues to make 8 block groups. For the neutral centers the groups are:
- blue and gold
- green and brown
- olive and tan
- red and purple
Then I arranged the units around a central circle, filling with additional Kona snow as necessary.
Some of the blocks don't have a solid circle in the middle.
And some are larger than 4x4. But now I've run out of snow, so this will have to wait for a few days.
If you haven't signed up yet, my Go!Baby giveaway
is still open. Hurry for your chance to win a fabric cutter and 3 dies!