11 January 2012

Field of green

Thank you so much for all the warm birthday wishes two weeks ago. I was truly moved by so many comments and I hope to reply to them soon.

I finished piecing the background for a new stencil quilt today. I pieced with improvisational curves by laying swaths of green fabric atop one another, cutting long wavy lines through the whole stack, then sewing different fabrics together along matching edges. Then re-stack and repeat. Slivers of orange and blue pop through here and there to keep it lively.
It will be my largest quilt using this reverse-applique technique, probably 72"x92" before washing. I've been missing my Green Stag quilt something fierce, so this will be another big animal.
The image set into the lush green background will be made of these half square triangles. My fingers are crossed that there will be sufficient contrast in color and geometry to make the animal stand out. If not, I'll insist I was trying to capture natural camouflage, or something like that.

12 comments:

  1. i love, <3, your green curves quilt. very striking!! good job, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, can't wait to see this come together!I love the yellow and brown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's going to be really cool! Cute helper there too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! That is going to be amazing! Green colours look very good! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the background and the glimpses of colour. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking so much forward to seeing the end result!
    However, I also really appreceiate seeing these intermediate steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I can't wait to see this one! I see some of my favorite fabrics in your half-square triangles: Joel Dewberry, Echo, Cloud 9's Cut Out & Keep (brilliant line!), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your background is stunning! Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous colors! Eager to see what you make from it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot diggity dogs! The background is a fantastic as it is. I am with the rest of the group, cannot wait to see what you do next. You are a genius. A sheer genius!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm still floored by the fact that you choose to make TWO quilt tops and then sew them together and cut one up. crazy genius.

    ReplyDelete