13 January 2012

Coming together

I made some more progress on my new quilt project yesterday.
I pieced 88 half-square triangle four patches, giving me a 65" x 47" field of random yellows and browns. That's half of what I need for the reverse applique. The yellow and brown will peek out through the field of green. A lot of the triangles will remain hidden behind the green. It's always so exciting for me to see what bits show through. I'm sure there's some way I could plan exactly how the triangles filled the stencil, but I'm certain I'm not interested.
I also pieced the back in large horizontal stripes of dark green and Kaufman Carolina Chambray in gold. Near the center I inset a 24" scrappy circle, built from trimmings from the quilt top background.
I love the mustardy gold chambray (a crossweave of yellow and brown) next to all the shades of green.

I won't be able to work on this again for a couple days as the weekend will be quite busy. Hope you're having as much fun as we are!

13 comments:

  1. I agree the mustard and green look stunning. The triangles look wonderful too, I like the unknowing of what will show, planning too carefully is boring! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...can't wait to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, oh my. This is gonna be good....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is tantalising - can't wait to see it emerge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see this as it progresses. Would you please come up to Portland OR and teach your class sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not making any promises, but do you have any suggestions for teaching venues in pdx?

      Delete
  6. Perfect colour combination of mustard and greens. So earthy. I keep looking at all the wonderful combinations of browns, greys and golds in the first picture.I keep seeing so many interesting fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Mari - can't wait to see the finale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this process that you use, and I have to say I love that back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool - it will be amazing.

    I love the circle - such a nice touch for the back. Do you have a tutorial or link on how you set them in the fabric?

    Thanks so much - have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dan ... the colors are fabulous ... looking forward to see in this evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really enjoying seeing your process. This feels so far above my head, but I love it! I can't wait to see how this shapes up.

    ReplyDelete