27 September 2011

Stencil quilt class

I had such a great time teaching my first quilting class the past two Sundays at New Pieces. All eight students made whole-cloth quilts using the stencil designs I brought into class. I wrote about my ginkgo leaf class sample a couple months ago.
I brought in five designs: the ginkgo leaf, a rose, a butterfly, a dragonfly, and a tarantula. I chose the tarantula for a spooky Halloween project. We spent the first two hour session talking about color and contrast, fabric selection, transferring designs to fabric, and then beginning to sew. (Susi blogged about the first session at Just Crafty Enough.) We all worked together to solve some unforeseen challenges transferring the designs to fabric. We all agreed that next time I should plan more time for this step.
Jane picked the most beautiful fabrics for her ginkgo quilt.
The second session we finished sewing the designs, cutting the stencil away, and basting the quilt sandwiches. Everyone was well on their way to completing the project. I can't wait to see the finished quilts.
Jaime used a dark background for her rose.
The photo is a little dark, but Nancy's dragonfly is going to be amazing! Can't wait to see Susi's and Jane's ginkgos, Jaime's and Angela's Roses, Nancy's dragonfly, Amanda's and Claudia's butterflies, and Lauren's rock 'n roll tarantula.

I've created a Flickr group for students and blog readers to post photos of work from class or Piece and press tutorials. I'd love to see your stuff there! http://www.flickr.com/groups/pieceandpress

And finially, I've scheduled a repeat class Sunday December 4 & 11 at New Pieces. I believe four of the eight slots are already taken, so sign up soon if you'd like to take the class!

14 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! I'm over here in NY chomping at the bit wishing you were closer... after seeing your reverse stenciling I have given it a small try on my own, but not with as detailed a stencil. So inspiring!! Happy teaching!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I wish too I would be closer to join your fun class! Still you give us so much inspiration through your blog so Big Thank You!
    I shall try myself like my friend Christie did!
    I'll go to enjoy your flickr.group.
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i want to take your class, too - I am so jealous of all those ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a class with you must be amazing and fun!!
    they are sooo lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have been there...Texas is a bit far away though :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredibly jealous of everyone who got to try this. I'm thinking an East Coast class would be a great idea. North Carolina quilters are great fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun Dan, I too would love to do that class, let me know if you are ever in Australia!! Thanks for showing the pics. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The class was amazing. Thank you Dan. You are a great teacher and a gifted artist. I had so much fun meeting the other women and seeing their work! I thought it was interesting that we spread out our choices among all the pictures you brought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome! i didn't attend the class, but i'm using your blogged stencil tutorial to make a quilt for my husband. i'll be sure to add it to the flickr pool when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome teacher results in awesome students and awesome creative results

    ReplyDelete
  11. anything calling you to give a class in southern Wisconsin? i'd be happy to host you :) i am also quite jealous of the people in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh! i'll be in CA fall of '12 for a year! hmmmmm...i have big plans already :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. an auzie girl so coming in for a class could be problematic but I like would you do.

    ReplyDelete