11 September 2011

Pear blossoms

Thomas Knauer sent me a little bit of his upcoming fabric line for Andover, Pear Tree, to see what I would make with it.
I've been working with a bunch of medallion designs, and I thought all the curvy egg shapes in Pear Tree would really shine with some curved piecing.

This is also my first attempt at quilt as you go (QAYG), where you quilt your blocks and then join them later. Granted I haven't joined any blocks yet, but still I'm wondering why I haven't done this before. You have so much more control working with small pieces. For the echo quilting in the medallion, I turned the block round and round. It was such a breeze compared to the circle quilting on the Ripple quilt.
I'm making four medallions, each set it Kona Bone, with window pane sashing to match the prints. I'm leaning toward a dusty pink for the sashing, but I might go blue or green.
The second medallion is pieced (I actually did the pink one first), and ready for the QAYG treatment. There are some piecing photos after the fold.


I pieced the medallions in six petals, then attached them around the center hexagon clockwise, one at a time.
There is a y-seam at the last intersection, but otherwise it's not that complicated, once you get the hang of the curves.
Here's the back of the pink medallion,with all the seams pressed toward the inside of the curves. I found the curves to be gradual enough that I didn't have to clip the seams to get them to press flat.


16 comments:

  1. You make those curves look so easy. Can't wait to get some of Thomas' fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Those are really cool. Are you sure the curves aren't that big a deal? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty fabric...I like that egg print especially. I really love the medallion design though. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! You should do a tutorial eventually on how you do the curve piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PLEASE post back about how the QAYG pieces join together. I can't wrap my brain around how this would work without being lumpy-bumpy. Those medallions are fantastic! www.paperstarfish.prettyposies.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne - I can't say the curves are beginner easy. What I can say is that I learned to do them by doing them, and the more I do the easier they get.

    Sara - I've included curved piecing instructions in my drunkards path and lazy susan tutorials. For this project it's essential to have precise pattern template. Who knows, maybe I'll pretty up my pattern & sell it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Your blocks are getting more fabulous by the minute. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so interesting...isn't amazing how much fun it is to quilt the smaller sections after wrestling a huge quilt under the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Dan, you are awesome, certainly the quilting curve King! I love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that is so cool!! I love the colors too. totally inspiring me to learn to do curves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that block is amazing! you make it looks easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are doing some intense piecing! I love that wavy, curvy line pattern in the second medallion. I'll have to pop over to Andover and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, that is going to look fantastic! I can see that made up in many different colourways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous circles. You have the curves technique down pat! And the way you put those fabrics together if perfecto! Have fun with Marianne's QAYG. Once you try it you might never go back . . . .

    ReplyDelete