20 February 2017

Asterism

"Asterism" is the second of two quilts that I will show at QuiltCon in Savannah, Georgia 23 Feb 2017 - 26 Feb 2017. 



"Asterism" is a typographical term - a group of three asterisks, traditionally set in a triangle but more commonly printed in a straight line, that serves as a visual section break in a longer chapter. At this dark pivot point in our history I look for the path that will lead us to a brighter future. I constructed the quilt top - both the improvised field and the precision-pieced asterisk medallions - entirely from used jeans, some of them mine and some second-hand.


I made the three medallions several years ago from the same batch of jeans. I wrote about my series of salvaged cushions in 2011. I called this particular iteration "Asterisk."


I went with pressed-open seams on the rectangular background to manage seam bulk. The curvy medallions came together cleanly with seams pressed to the side.


The backing is a pretty neat combination of orphan units from a wedge-curve class I attended with Sherri Lynn Wood way back when and a bunch of indigo cross-weaves and chambrays. I love the back of this quilt.


I quilted on my domestic machine with a walking foot, marking intermediately spaced lines with painting tape. My inspiration was falling water. I filled in the interstitial quilting with 1/2" - 1" spacing.


Chambray binding finished by hand. I made this photo into a button. Hit me up and I'll give you one at QuiltCon, while supplies last!



Here I'm blocking the quilt after washing. I like this picture because it gives a good idea of the quilting and the color. I had such a hard time getting the indigo right in the photos!

Asterism
81"x74"
begun 2011, completed 2016
pieced and quilted by Daniel Rouse

8 comments: