20 February 2017

Asterism

"Asterism" is the second of two quilts that I will show at QuiltCon in Savannah, Georgia 23 Feb 2017 - 26 Feb 2017. 



"Asterism" is a typographical term - a group of three asterisks, traditionally set in a triangle but more commonly printed in a straight line, that serves as a visual section break in a longer chapter. At this dark pivot point in our history I look for the path that will lead us to a brighter future. I constructed the quilt top - both the improvised field and the precision-pieced asterisk medallions - entirely from used jeans, some of them mine and some second-hand.


I made the three medallions several years ago from the same batch of jeans. I wrote about my series of salvaged cushions in 2011. I called this particular iteration "Asterisk."


I went with pressed-open seams on the rectangular background to manage seam bulk. The curvy medallions came together cleanly with seams pressed to the side.


The backing is a pretty neat combination of orphan units from a wedge-curve class I attended with Sherri Lynn Wood way back when and a bunch of indigo cross-weaves and chambrays. I love the back of this quilt.


I quilted on my domestic machine with a walking foot, marking intermediately spaced lines with painting tape. My inspiration was falling water. I filled in the interstitial quilting with 1/2" - 1" spacing.


Chambray binding finished by hand. I made this photo into a button. Hit me up and I'll give you one at QuiltCon, while supplies last!



Here I'm blocking the quilt after washing. I like this picture because it gives a good idea of the quilting and the color. I had such a hard time getting the indigo right in the photos!

Asterism
81"x74"
begun 2011, completed 2016
pieced and quilted by Daniel Rouse

18 comments:

  1. First comment again....I feel like I'm stalking you. Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it´s looking absolutely great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Patchwork!
    Very glad that I found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. شركة تنظيف خزانات


    شركات غسيل خزانات المياه بالمدينة

    نستخدم افضل الطرق لتنظيف الخزانات من الداخل والخارج مع استخدام مواد تعقيم تحافة على نظافة الخزان اطول فترة ممكنة
    شركة نظافة خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

    ReplyDelete
  5. Decent Blog, Thanks for offer with us. On the off chance that you need proficient Website Development and Designing and Digital marketing Services visit Ogeninfo.
    SEO Service in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for another great post.This is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing blog, thanks for sharing with us. Kalakutir Pvt Ltd provides high-quality printing business cards, company logo, wall stickers and more.
    Epoxy Paint Flooring & Coating

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dapatkan info lengkap dan jelas pada situs judi, agen judi maupun tips dan trik yang bisa dikunjungi pada situs yang ada dibawah ini.

    Info Pendek
    Info Jitu
    Cheat Pasti
    Situs Panas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.
    Study in New Zealand consultants in Delhi
    List of Top 5 Courses in Canada after 12th - Study in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since 2010, Lakshay Arora Intraday tips provider in Delhi 9+ year's Experience , We are deal in Stock broker in Delhi, Stock Market Expert in Delhi, Mutual funds Expert in Delhi, Types of Investment and Demate Account Service in Delhi etc. Contact us for these types of services

    ReplyDelete
  11. Virtual event platforms that offer gamification will often include a dedicated tab where attendees can view tasks to complete as well as the game leaderboard. virtual edge and conference gifts for attendees

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the closeups of your beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete