31 January 2013

Boardwalk Quilt in Fat Quarterly No. 12

I finished this quilt several months ago. It was a gift for my nephew's high school graduation.


I held off showing photos because the pattern for the quilt appears in the new issue of Fat Quarterly. The theme of Issue No. 12  is Precuts. I used jelly-roll-sized strips from lots of different fabric lines, and quilted a grid of straight lines through the strips, then echo quilting around the clover shape.


The finished quilt is 72" x 100", generously sized for my tall nephew's extra-long twin dorm room bed.


I had lots of leftover scraps from the width-of-fabric strips, plus older scraps from a surprising number of previous blue & brown projects, including my Shirting quilt and Marquee quilts (1 and 2).


I mixed them all together into scrappy rail fence blocks.


I set the rail fence column in a background of denim Essex linen, with a few more scrappy bits here and there, and stamped a simple label on the back.



Photo credit: Joel Ignacio
The bias binding is a navy crosshatch print by Lotta Jansdotter.

Photo credit: Joel Ignacio
I showed the quilt at the June 2012 East Bay Modern Quilt Guild meeting at New Pieces Quilt Shop.


Fat Quarterly is always full of great patterns and inspiration, and this issue is no exception. You really do owe yourself a subscription!







12 comments:

  1. Lovely mix of fabrics! It's hard to make a jellyroll quilt look lively, but you've done it. Although those scrappy rail fence blocks are my favorite part (that may be due to the volume of strip scraps around here, may have to copy you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! It's always hard to see male, let alone late teens early twenties male. After all the quilts I've made I still haven't made one for my 20 something son. I guess the need to make it just right is paralyzing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just understated sophistication and totally beautiful. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design, love that it changes colour in the middle too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt. Contrarily though I really like the piecing on the back best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt and balance of colour and shape. got to agree with you about FQ magazine subscription and took mine out today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a subscription. That is a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Мне все Ваши квилты нравятся! Получаю удовольствие. Спасибо!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this quilt Dan...I'm sure your nephew is thrilled. Such a great use of all those strips, something I have plenty of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blue and brown - one of my favorite color combos too! Big fan of all the plaids and prints too - my nephew wants a quilt made with mainly greens for his college debut and you've given me some great ideas - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the stamped label is amazing, how is that done?..
    LOVELY quilt..... it's sweet!!

    ReplyDelete