21 July 2012

Little Things

I made a couple things for Munchkin this week. He's been asking for them for a while. I'm afraid it can be easy to put that sort of stuff off when there is so little sewing time and my head's wrapped up in bigger projects.

The first thing is a messenger bag.
The bag is made out of up-cycled cargo pants, lined with quilting cotton and an up-cycled shirt, using a tutorial from Noodlehead.
It was easy to put together in a single morning session.
Munchkin specifically requested the mushroom print. In truth, I think he was disappointed that the mushrooms are on the lining, rather than the exterior. Alas, I was unable to find any mushroom pint cargo pants. I added pockets to each side of the lining using a check toddler shirt that hasn't fit for years.
The edges of the cover flap are finished with bias binding scraps from my recent shot cottons quilt and blue and brown quilt.
 When I put the whole thing together I extended the strap along the interior side gusset about 3", then stitched to reinforce after I turned the bag right-side out.
If I make another one of these bags I'll plan for 1/2" seam allowances instead of the 1/4" recommended in the tutorial. I worry that the seams won't stand up to Munchkin's abuse. For a bag measuring 10"x11"x2", the cutting sizes (exterior and lining) would be:

front & back: 11" x 12"
side gussets (2): 3" x 12"
bottom gusset: 3" x 11"
flap (with pocket on exterior): 10"x13"

Munchkin's second request was to make a blanket and pillow for his Totoro plush toy. I fear the window for this kind of request will be closing soon, and I would kick myself if I missed the chance.
He saw me making a log cabin block with this anthropomorphized sushi novelty print, and assured me the Totoro likes sushi, so it would be perfect for him. He also picked the coordinating Flock print.
He's probably right. What do you think?

24 comments:

  1. Lucky Munchkin! Adorable Totoro accessories and really adorable cargo bag - I'll be making one too! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool bag! It screams "dude growing up"! The blanket whispers, "but not too much." :) Your young man has great taste in fabrics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your son and mine would get along great...he'd love those things still too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is adorable! I think Totoro looks quite happy with his new quilt and pillow. Munchkin did an amazing job on picking fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I fear my 7 year old and I are out of the loop. What is Totoro? He has stylish accessories, whoever he is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great requests! The bag looks so cool, the mushroom print was a great choice! The blanket and pillow set are awesome, that is one lucky toy! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i heart Totoro! how sweet that he wanted a blankie and pillow for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them all! I agree on the seam allowances. Kids items take a lot of abuse so deeper seam allowances help that. I love the blanket and pillow for Totoro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dan! What a great bag - I want to make one too!
    Totoro is really sweet and I think he loves that new pillow and blanket! They are just perfect and so beautiful colours!
    Thanks again for inspiration! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they are both great. I just made 4 little sleeping bags for my munchkin's doll and and as party favors for her friends. I had the same thought about the window closing on such a request. Do they have to grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lucky munchkin. I have tears in my eyes as I read this.
    The cargo pants bag is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  12. of course totoro loves sushi! what a lovely bag and a sweet totoro bed. i dream of being able to fulfill my little snowdrop's requests someday. being a parent rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My nieces love Totoro too and very fine he looks under his new duvet! Love the bag and shame on you not having mushroom print cargo pants. What sort of person are you anyway?? Hahha

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love that totoro is under a sushi blanket!. your munchikin is very wise, runs in the family? what a clever way to recycle a pair of cargos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bag, it's great for a munchkin! I also really appreciate that you managed to use one of my favorite words-- anthropomorphized-- in your post! It's used far too infrequently, and perfectly suits this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love how you repurposed the outside pocket. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much fun. I especially adore that sushi print on the mini. The cargo pouch is fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! That bag is fabulous! The sushi fabric also lives at my house, it is very cute too. Make the kids stuff while they still want it, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the repurposed cargo pockets! Wish I had thought of that before I put my son's last pair of pants out on the fence (our way of passing on outgrown clothes here in Brooklyn). Might try it with the next set! (my son is 14 and out-grows stuff on a daily basis.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic cargo bag! Your Munchkin has great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the mushroom/cargo bag! & thanks for giving the adjusted measurements. I think you are probably right about the seam allowances - I recently made myself a bag which directed 1/4 inch seams, and one of them has popped :( that bag was alot of work and in some of my all time fav fabrics, too.

    I think your Munchkin has great taste in fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everything about this post makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete