20 July 2011

Paper-pieced star

I just finished this star block. The central medallion is English-paper-pieced, and the circle is machine pieced. The unfinished size is 12 1/2".

For this project I used freezer paper templates and starched and pressed the seam allowances. Without basting thread, the freezer paper came loose if I didn't starch.

One other note: I used a ladder stitch instead of a whipstitch for the seams. I'm very happy with the result, but it was slow going and I think I'll be back to whipstitch on my next paper-piecing project.

Update:
Here'm my template if you want to give it a go:
Update 2:
For a paper-piecing primer, you can't do better than the tutorials and videos(!) Lynne is posting for the Lily's Quilts Hex-a-long.

Hexalong

10 comments:

  1. beautiful. thanks for sharing the templates, but not sure i am brave enough just yet to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pops of turquoise in this one. EPP scares me but I'm working up the nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colours are fab AND literally went "ohhh" when I opened your post. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the templates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfect job Dan! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! So far I've only done paper piecing with small hexagons, but I'm thinking that something like this would be a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big fat kiss for that Dan, thank you X

    ReplyDelete
  8. love, love, love your fabric choices! Your work is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy schmokes! And you gave the paper piecing too? Ok, this is really hokey, but I can't stop myself… DAN, you are the MAN!

    ReplyDelete