26 March 2013


It was a pleasure to be able to sew this weekend after several weeks off. I started with a little curved improv piecing, inspired by a gorgeous quilt pieced and quilted by Sue Fox. Sue started teaching me the basics of long-arm quilting last week (more on that in a later post).

I pulled a bunch of gray prints and wovens. I was a little drab, and I decided I needed something with more punch. The technicolor Echino birds and berries fit the bill, and I added a coordinating Essex linen for good measure.

I cut and shuffled the fabrics, then sewed them together to make 10 blocks, roughly 10 inches each side.

I laid nine of the blocks out on two pieces of grey woven fabric (yarn dyed Essex linen in black, and Kaufman Carolina Chambray in black) until the arrangement pleased me.

I added some strips of light and dark gray solids and a vibrant blue Oakshott cotton that also coordinates with the bird print. The blue especially gives the composition a greater sense of movement.

Then I set the blocks using the two gray woven fabrics. The top measures approximately 48x64.

The back features one last curved improv block, set in the remaining scraps of linen and Carolina Chambray, and finished with several prints from my stash. I was going to use more of the Ikea bird print on  the right side but I think even that 8" strip is quite a lot. In the end I'll trim another 2 or 3 inches off that edge before I bind the quilt, and I hope that will be just enough.