16 October 2011

Squiggle pillow


Just finished binding this enormous 24" pillow inspired by Rashida Coleman-Hale's Squiggle print.


I love her design and wanted to see how the intersecting waves would look in patchwork.


For ease in patterning I made four squiggle columns, planning to trim square after piecing. I used six pattern pieces. The patchwork is completely pieced, with no appliqué.


The rows came together very easily. It was trickier attaching the individual rows to each other. The constant curve meant lots of pins and slow, careful seaming. But I'm very happy with my pattern. All the points match and the curves lie flat.


I quilted a quarter inch off the horizontal and vertical seams, trimmed to 24" square, backed in Kona coal with a zipper (thanks again Erin!), and bound with grey linen. I had to throw some linen in there somewhere.





24 comments:

  1. Geez, you are amazing with curves. Beautiful patchwork, beautiful finished piece. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Nice job with those curves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A 24" pillow...how awesome is that!! The curved pattern is amazing. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! That's how you did that! I've been thinking about that piece since I saw it at the last East Bay Modern meeting. As usual, a.m.a.z.i.n.g!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love curves and loving that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice... would love to see a whole quilt from that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I always say this but I can`t tell you how much I love this design, the fabrics, the monochrome palette, your piecing. It`s incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible design and execution! I also enjoy your blogging style, several photos and the perfect amount of text to keep me interested :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, fantastic pillow! Will we see a tutorial or pattern for this? Rashida Coleman-Hale has some awesome prints!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man you do it oh so well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow wow wow. There is no other word. Great job Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. man, you and your curves. makes me so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely curved piecing!

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! Saw this on Pinterest and will definitely be following you after this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fab! My first thought was "Wow, all those pieces!"... but well worth it for such a great effect. Love the curves and the play between light and dark!

    ReplyDelete